There was Black Friday, Cyber Monday (which was apparently a $2 billion success) and now there is Giving Tuesday- a noble departure from rampant consumerism of disposable items. However, the world around us gives no matter the season. Here are our picks for the best reasons to give back to the environment this holiday season.
1. Fresh air. Most of us can walk outside and take a deep breath of clean air. We know clean, renewable energy is possible and an efficient method to preserve that clean air.
2. Clean water. Safe water is our most precious resource, and we must work hard to protect it. However, this precious resource can easily be poisoned by negligent use of toxic chemicals as well as the recent boom of hydraulic fracturing.
3. Lush forests full of diverse ecosystems providing clean air and water, soil, climate control and rich wildlife. From the massive Amazon to the Indonesian rainforest, home to the endangered Sumatran tiger, the world’s forests are in danger and we’ll all be impacted. Zero deforestation is possible and Greenpeace is committed to making it a reality.
4. Vast oceans which can be restored to a healthy state. Covering 70 percent of the planet, oceans help control climate and provide protein resources for the entire world’s population. Currently, we are using the gifts of the ocean recklessly, but it’s not too late to move in a sustainable direction.
5. Fresh produce, grains and protein sources to nourish ourselves and our families. Despite the processed food plentiful at grocery stores and vending machines, our planet gives us all the ingredients for a well-balanced diet. However, natural food sources all rely on clean water, air and soil to survive.
Once all the presents are wrapped, opened, returned, tossed or cherished, the gifts we receive every day can last forever, but only if we work hard to protect them. It’s a tall task, but we can do it with your support.
Please give back this holiday season to the one gift that can keep on giving with our help.