So we all know the Arctic is cold and white and in danger from exploitation by oil companies including Shell Oil, right? Not only is the critical ecosystem in dire need of our protection, it also has an endlessly interesting “About Me” section. Here’s what we think are the coolest things about the Arctic we found pretty surprising.
6. The Vikings actually called Greenland by its name to attract settlers. Suckers!
5. When the Titanic hit an Arctic iceberg, it was actually hitting a chunk that had previously melted off a glacier.
4. The Arctic fox’s fur changes from brown to white during the transition from fall to winter as their skin produces melanin for camouflage.
3. Fish in the Arctic Ocean survive by their own personal antifreeze. They have a frost-protection protein in their blood that allows them to swim in freezing Arctic water.
2. Unlike Antarctica, the Arctic is actually habitable by humans and more than 2 million people call it home.
AND THE COOLEST THING ABOUT THE ARCTIC?
NARWALS. The unicorns of the ocean! And yes, that tusk growing out of their head is a tooth!
Join us to save this critical region, and halt Shell’s plans to move ahead with their drilling plans next near.